Dogs are members of our families, so many pet owners try to make them feel like they are children. Because you love your pup, it is understandable when you want to share some of your delicious food with him or her. After all, it is a lot harder to resist those puppy eyes when your dog just won’t stop begging for every morsel. While some human foods are suitable for feeding your dog, a lot of human food out there can actually cause harm and even death. Dogs are not used to eating the same fatty and oily food that humans do, and feeding it to them can cause a range of complications and issues such as upset stomachs and diarrhea.
Although it can be very difficult to resist, sometimes part of being a good doggy parent is learning when to say no, especially when something can pose potential health risks. Even if your pup may already be used to eating human food, the food may be causing some harm that you may not be aware of and could become serious down the line. Because you care about your canine companion, here are the 5 worst human foods for dogs:
It is a common and well-known fact that dogs should not eat chocolate as it is harmful to them. Unlike cats, dogs do not discriminate against what they eat, so if you leave chocolate lying around, your dog will probably try to eat it. Chocolate contains theobromine which is the harmful component for dogs. It can cause terrible and uncomfortable effects like vomiting, diarrhea, and increased thirst. On the extreme end of things, it can cause tremors, seizures, and even death.
Xylitol refers to an artificial sweetener that is found commonly in most baked goods, candies, and sugarless gum. Although it is perfectly acceptable for humans, xylitol can lead to liver damage and a shocking drop in sugar levels in dogs. A single piece of sugar-free gum can be potentially toxic to your pup, leading to vomiting as well as a loss of coordination within 10 minutes of ingesting it. You should contact your vet immediately if you suspect that your dog has consumed xylitol.
Garlic and onions
Anything that can be categorized in the onion family including garlic, shallots, and chives is extremely toxic to dogs. They contain elements that can lead to anemia and gastroenteritis. Garlic, which is five times more potent than onions, should be avoided at all costs. Signs of onion or garlic poisoning include lethargy, weakness, and orange colored urine.
Dogs are not built to process dairy products such as cream and cheese because they lack the enzyme to break down milk sugars. Dairy products can cause your dog gastrointestinal problems and lead to development of serious conditions such as pancreatitis.
Both grapes and raisins are harmful to dogs because they can cause vomiting, urination, and symptoms of poisoning. Try and keep your grapes and raisins stored safely away to protect your dog. You should also talk to your kids if you have any so that they can avoid feeding your pups grapes.